I get asked all the time how old I am. I am proud to say I am 45 years old. I also have seven kids. I get compliments on my skin all the time. One day my daughter (22 years younger than me) was mistaken to be my sister. I love it! I'm going to share with you my secret tips to having youthful skin and even more that that - how to feel younger, too.
Go ahead take a closer look at this picture. I have not doctored it in anyway. This was a shot taken after five hours at church the Sunday before Christmas (I was in the choir so I was up early practicing and performing) and a very short night, several short nights - Christmas season. I didn't fix my makeup or the lighting. My husband took this picture. I wear very little make up and most of it had rubbed off by the time we took this picture. I have a few wrinkles, not bad for 45 years. I feel youthful.
Growing up, I was introduced to a whole world of natural facials I could use that were made with food. I was often found with honey, egg whites, avocados, or oatmeal plastered all over my face. I did have nice skin. I was taught simple home remedies that would balance my skin and keep cash in my wallet. If you Google natural remedies for the skin, you will find a ton of resources. But it is more than that, beauty in your skin starts internally. Many people put lots of focus into moisturizers and expensive creams for your skin. But when your diet is filled with foods that blemish and wrinkle the skin, it can add several years to your appearance. Here are your simple steps starting from the inside out.
- Water: You need adequate amounts to hydrated the skin. Your body is over 75% water, so remember what happens to a nice plump juicy grape when you dehydrated it, raisins. Lack of water causes many challenges in the body, but more importantly it makes your skin more prone wrinkles just like a raisin. Water flushes the toxins out of the cells of the body. Toxins make our skin look older and more wrinkled. In general you need to drink half your body weight in ounces. For example if you weighed 140 lbs., you would need 70 oz. of water.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Studies show that 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily delay aging and give you a healthy glow. A healthy diet is key to beautiful younger looking skin. Whole foods are the best for you. Processed foods are missing nutrients and enzymes and take a lot of water to move through the system which in turn can leave your skin drier. Fruit and vegetables are rich in carotenoids, which guard against cell damage from pollution and UV rays and can prevent age-related disorders like heart disease and cancer.
- Exercise: Cleanse your skin from the inside out. It increases blood flow bringing nutrients and oxygen to the skin and removes toxins.
- Proper Rest: We've all heard the term, 'Get your beauty sleep'. There is wisdom to this. If you have difficulty sleeping, following these basics should help. A build-up of toxins in the body, dehydration, and lack of exercise all contribute to insomnia. Sleep helps you regenerate the skin, and the whole body.
- Happy Attitude: It really goes a long way to make you look younger.
My skin routine has been simple and inexpensive. You can invest a fortune of time and money; but most people don't need to. Here are the basics.
- Wash your face at least at the end of the day to remove the dirt and make-up. I like to use gentle cleansers. One of my favorites is Castile soap, a small 2 oz bottle is $2.99. It will last you a long time as a couple of drops goes a long way. Oatmeal is another good cleanser and makes a nice exfoliant. Here are some great recipes from items in your kitchen.
- Splash your skin with cold water to close the pores.
- Tone the skin with Witch Hazel extract. It has light astringent and firming properties and removes the last traces of make up and oil. It also helps with acne. The cheap brands are a bit harsh on the skin, but all I used for years. I now use a more natural product and spend about $6 on a 16 oz. bottle. It lasts a long time.
- Apply aloe vera gel. This will help repair skin damage. It is an amazing plant. Aloe has amazing healing and nourishing properties, it tones and firms the skin. Growing your own is much cheaper than expensive skin care products. You can buy it, but make sure you get a quality natural product.
- Moisturize with as natural a product as possible. My favorite is one we sell called Facial Hydrator. It is full of things like avocado oil, aloe, and other amazing nourishing ingredients that you could eat, so it is safe for your skin. We sell 2 oz. for $24 and it lasts a long time. You can also use coconut oil or jojoba oil. While applying, give yourself a quick massage.
- A few times a week, steam your skin. This helps to cleanse and detox the pores.
- A few times a week use a facial mask. Again, there are bunch of homemade recipes. One of my favorites is to make a clay mask. For pennies you get a traditional French treatment. They absorb oil and dirt providing a deep clean.
Once in a while I have used a more expensive product on my skin. But for the majority of my 45 years, this routine has been my mainstay.
One great product is Cellfood Oxygen Gel which many say is magical. We carry this for $32 and it lasts you a long time. Every time someone buys a bottle, they always report positive benefits. Winner of the 1997 Advanced Technology Award, Cellfood is a cell-oxygenating formula that is the most nourishing, revitalizing skin care product available. It contains 78 ionic trace minerals, 34 enzymes, 17 amino acids, electrolytes and dissolved oxygen. It is used for wrinkles, skin damage, sun spots, and blemishes. It renews the skin promoting a more youthful appearance.
Another is a brand new product called Yu InfiniSerum and it is the most expensive product I have used or would sell. It is $99 for a bottle. But this is so much cheaper than most facial care products. It contains an ingredient call Equol which is not found in any other professional grade skincare product. Studies show it to increase collagen by 220%, increase in elastin by 190%, increase in TlMP1 by 540% and a decrease in bad MMPs by 1,010%. It recalibrates the influence of hormonal action imbalance due to aging to restore a more youthful appearance.
These are my magic skin care treatments. Simple changes can have great results. When my mom started using our Facial Hydrator, she was mistaken for her younger sister's daughter. If you need a little fine tuning or guidance, connect with me on Facebook and I'll answer your questions.